Control Your Computer from Anywhere with Mobile Software
There's nothing worse than arriving at a business meeting or a sales presentation and realizing you left a key document in the office. Or what about when you're working from home and can't finish a project because you forgot to copy an important file from your work computer to your flash drive? These frustrating scenarios can become nothing but a bad dream thanks to a new breed of software that allows you to access your desktop computer from your mobile device.
Access Word documents, download files, and even control PowerPoint presentations anywhere using your smartphone or PDA. Whether you're solo or have a bevy of employees, your business will benefit by having the freedom to go mobile. Here are some mobile desktop software options for the businessperson on the go.
This software lets you search and share your computer's files, programs, and e-mail using any Web-enabled mobile device.
Price: 30-day free trial, then $12.95 per month or $10.35 per month with an annual commitment
Compatible mobile devices: Works on any Web-enabled phone, including smartphones and iPhone
- This is a Web-based service, so there's no software to install on your phone. Simply use your phone's browser to log in and access your documents.
- Access your computer even when it's offline.
- Access Microsoft Outlook e-mail and contacts.
- Search all your stored files remotely.
This software gives you remote access to your PC desktop, including all your e-mail, files, applications, and corporate intranet. It does not support file sharing and transfer.
Price: 30-day free trial, then $19.95 per month or $14.95 per month with annual commitment
Compatible mobile devices: Works on any Pocket PC or Windows CE wireless device (Windows Mobile smartphones are not supported)
- It supports the use of a stylus, scrolling, scaling, and portrait or landscape orientation.
- No software download is required. Simply log into the GoToMyPC Web site from your phone's browser and choose the host PC you want to connect to.
Avvenu Access 'n Share
Access 'n Share lets you view, share, or download documents, files, and photos stored on your home or work computers via the Web on your mobile phone or smartphone.
Price: Free basic service; upgrade to Anytime Files starts at $9.99 per month or $79.99 a year
Compatible mobile devices: Works on any Web-enabled mobile phone or smartphone
- Upgrading to Anytime Files lets you choose which documents, files, photos, and videos you want stored on Avvenu's servers so you can access them when your computer is turned off or is offline.
- No software download for your mobile device is required.
- When sharing files, you control who gets to see them, what they get to see, and how long.
ShowDirector, LibertyControl, i-Clickr PowerPoint Remote, and PPC Tablet Remote Control Suite
Turn your mobile device into a remote control for your PowerPoint presentations by downloading one of these software programs. Each program allows you to control your slide presentations remotely and view your slide notes right on your handset.
Price: Ranges from $16 to $25
Compatible mobile devices: Works on most Windows Mobile or PDA devices
- Never be tied to your keyboard and mouse during presentations again.
- Stay on point by being able to view notes and actions your audience can't see.
- Never pack an extra clicker gadget again when traveling.
AllBusiness.com operates one of the Web's premier business sites, providing practical information and services for business professionals and growing businesses. See more at www.allbusiness.com.