Windstream Portal FAQs
What is a portal?
A portal is another name for a home page. In this case, our portal is http://windstreambusiness.net. We encourage you to make this your home page—which is ultimately the page your computer will automatically open to when you access your internet browser.
Why would I want to log in to the portal?
The portal or home page is a robust and dynamic source of information and services, including national and local news, sports, and entertainment. By logging in, you instantly access your Windstream email, and also customize the content and location of information on the page, making it truly unique to your interests and desires.
Additional features and benefits include:
- Single sign on
- Google Search
- Streaming Video (News, Entertainment and Sports)
- Personalizing your homepage with news and information that is essential to you!
How do I log in to the portal/home page?
You log in to the portal/home page with your Windstream email address and Password. You can call Windstream customer support at 1-800-347-1991 to obtain an email address and password if you do not have one. Log-in access is available in the upper right hand corner of the portal.
How do I make the portal my home page?
There are two ways to make the Windstreambusiness.net portal your home page:
In Internet Explorer:
- The first is on the home page itself. Go to http://windstreambusiness.net and click on "Make this your home page" at the very top of the page. You will be prompted to accept the URL as your home page.
- In the Internet toolbar, click on "Tools." Click on "Internet options." On the "General" tab, type in http://windstreambusiness.net in the home page space, click on "use current pages," and then click on "Apply."
- Click and drag the link that says: "To make this your home page, drag this link onto your Home Button."
How do I get back to the windstreambusiness.net portal/home page (main page)?
The portal has a home page, plus many other pages that you typically access by clicking on components or channels. When you go to another page, simply click on your browser’s "back" button or click the "Home" button at the left side of the page. If you have not set windstreambusiness.net as your home page, and you navigate to other URL addresses on the web, when you want to get back to windstreambusiness.net, you will need to enter http://windstreambusiness.net in the browser address bar to return. This is another great reason to make the Windstream portal your home page on the Internet by clicking the "Make this my Homepage" link at the top of the page.
What are the recommended system requirements to access content on the portal?
- Any Intel or AMD processor, 400mhz or faster
- Windows 98/ME/2000/XP
- Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher (cookies enabled)
- Windows Media Player 9.0 or higher
- Real Player 6.0 or higher
- Macromedia Flash Plug-In (required for Charter Music)
- Shockwave Plug-in (required for Shockwave.com™ UNLIMITED)
- Active X Plug-in (for streaming video over IE)
- 256 MB RAM
- 16-bit sound card and speakers
- 65,000-color video display card
What can I do in "My Account"?
This section is meant to help you manage your Internet account which includes:
- Username Management is a function which gives the head of household the ability to create additional users and change passwords.
How do I manage my windstreambusiness.net account on the portal?
Use the My Account link to manage your windstreambusiness.net account.
Will accessing the portal and logging in put cookies on my PC?
Yes, in order to access the portal your browser must be set up to allow cookies.
What are cookies?
Cookies are simple pieces of text sent by a server to a web browser. Cookies not harmful to your computer; they are used for authenticating, tracking, and maintaining specific information about users, such as site preferences used in customizing the portal or the content on the portal.
Who can I contact with portal-related support needs?
Windstream Customer Service - 1-800-347-1991
What is a component/content?
A component is a section of the portal that is complete within itself. It can be moved or removed within the space of the portal when you are logged in. For instance: "3 Day Forecast" is the Weather component on the page.
How do I add/remove components/content?
When you are logged in on the portal, click on the "Personalize or Personalize this page" link at the top of the page on the right hand side. The home page will shift down and display the content discovery portion which allows the user to select from multiple categories of content that you want to add to your homepage.
- To add content you can do 1 of 2 things:
- Click on ADD and the content will be added to the default column
- Click on the arrow next to ADD and choose the column for that specific content while adding it
- Content can also be previewed by clicking on the thumbnail picture or clicking on preview
- Content can be removed from the homepage by clicking on the X in the upper right corner of that content
- Content is arranged in categories
- To add your own component
- Click on Add Your Own Component
- The Enter the RSS Feed URL here: box will appear prompting the customer to enter a website address
- Click SUBMIT
- You can click on View once you have added the component and it will show you where the component has been placed on your homepage.
- The website address will be confirmed for you to accept by showing a checkmark
- You also has the option to clear the website entered by clicking on clear
- You can also choose the location on the portal for your personalized component by clicking on ADD
- You will then place your cursor on the content banner (where the name is visible) and as the mouse changes to the 4 headed arrow simply do a left click hold and drag and drop that content to any column on the portal
- The content will fade as it is dragged and this represents the content being moved
How do I move components?
Right on the portal when you are logged in: When you hover your mouse over a movable component, a four-way arrow will appear. When you see that arrow, you may do a left mouse click and drag and drop the component to any column on the home page.
How do I customize the TV Listings component?
Several things can be customized within the TV Listings component. Click on the TV tab and then click on "Settings" in the upper right hand corner of the component. You can adjust the following:
- Local Stations: Change the zip code to change the available stations.
- Select your service: Use the drop-down menu to customize your station listing based on your provider.
- Favorite Channels: Select from the list of available channels to choose your favorites. These are the channels that will show on the portal home page.
- Default View: You may choose to have the component display shows that match either real time or prime time shows.
Click "Submit" after making your changes. This will return you to the home page, where you can see your changes.
Using "Advanced Search" from the TV Listings component, you may search for shows by name, date, channel or category. You can sort them by date or title. And you can select how you would like your results displayed.
How do I customize the Local channel?
The "Local Channel" can be found in the directory across the top of the home page. The Local Channel can be customized whether you are logged in or not—by clicking on the local channel and then entering your desired zip code and clicking "Go." If there is a local component on the home page, the content there will also change to reflect the zip code input on the Local channel.
How do I update the Weather component?
Within the Weather component, there is an edit link where you can enter any zip code or city and state. Simply enter a zip code or city and state to see the weather conditions in the place you are interested in. You can also change whether the display is reported in Fahrenheit or Celsius by choosing the corresponding icon in the top right of the component.
How do I update the Market Watch component/Add new stock symbols?
The Market Watch component functions in three ways:
- Stock Symbol Quickview of Price and Change: Right in the component, you can have up to seven of your favorite stocks show up (the default setting is for S&P 500 and NASDAQ). Simply click "Edit" and enter your stock symbols. (If you do not know your stock symbol, see that function.) Note: Editing your stock symbol will remove the S&P 500 and NASDAQ from the view.
- Look up a symbol: Enter any stock symbol and click on enter or "go" to learn more about that stock. Entering a stock symbol will take you to another page for an in-depth view of the stock. You with see the following tabs: Market Summary, Market Movers, Sectors, A-Z listings, World Markets, Splits, CEO Wealthmeter, Currencies & Calculators.
How do I access email?
Email can be accessed in the upper right corner of the Windstream portal home page. You must be logged in to be able to access your email. Having trouble logging in? For help, please visit http://www.windstreambusiness.com/business/support-center.html.
In addition to Windstream email, you can set up and access other email addresses using the All Mail component.
- The All Mail component is located in the upper right hand corner
- Access to the following e-mail providers is available:
- Windstream e-mail
- Other (additional webmail hosts; MSN is not compatible)
Click on an e-mail provider for set up and follow the prompts as they are given
- AOL allows the user to sign in and have instant previewing
- Gmail allows the user to sign in and have instant previewing Yahoo! includes a verification process instant access (see)
- Yahoo! also requires reauthorization every 13 days
How do I download Media, MultiMedia Assistant, Plug Ins?
To download programs necessary to support premiums content, such as flash or plug-ins, go to the Footer directory (located at the bottom of the homepage), then click on "Downloads and Plug Ins or "get Downloads and Plug Ins." After clicking on the link a window (or a refreshed page) will appear outlining the necessary software to download for the various services. This process is easy and the Multimedia Assistant will even indicate what you have already downloaded and what you have not. In order to download a specific plug in click on Download now! to the right of that plug in.
Why would I want to download the windstreambusiness.net Toolbar?
There are many helpful functions available through the toolbar. By adding the toolbar, you can have these functions available to you, no matter what Internet web page you are on. These functions include:
- Search: Looking for something? Type your phrase or word in the search box, and our Google-powered engine will find it for you.
- Highlight Search Term: Click on this button to automatically highlight the phrase or word you searched for throughout the page.
- News: Click on this tab and get the top ten most current news headlines. Click on a headline to view the full article on your windstreambusiness.net portal
- Pop-up Blocker: The toolbar is equipped with a powerful no-nuisance feature that protects you from most pop-up ads.
- TV: Want to see what's on-now or later? Click to get right to the TV Listings channel.
- Movies: Check what's playing at your local theater. Click to get right to the Movies channel.
- Customizable: Opportunities to set up preferences with regard to content, position and features that users find most useful.
How do I download the Toolbar?
To download the windstreambusiness.net toolbar, go to the very top of the home page and click on the Toolbar link. You will be taken to another page that highlights the features and benefits of having the toolbar as well as directions for downloading
What are the system requirements for the windstreambusiness.net Toolbar?
- Microsoft Windows (2000, XP or Vista)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 6.0 or greater
- Mozilla Firefox version 3.0 or greater
Will downloading the windstreambusiness.net Toolbar put spyware on my PC?
The windstreambusiness.net Toolbar collects information, such as your IP address and zip code for the following purposes: to customize the content you see; to fulfill requests for products and services; to conduct research; to provide anonymous reporting; and to ensure that you always have the most up-to-date version of the Toolbar. This information is not sold, disclosed or reported on to any other companies or websites.
How do I access additional support?
At the top of the home page there is a Support link, click here for additional help on the following:
- Windstream Homepage
- Billing and Services
- Tools, Set-up and Installation
- Entertainment Services
- Create an Account